Friday 2 September 2011

Flappers,Smoking and all that Jazz!!


 

It was the flagrantly outrageous behavior of the young women, known as "flappers" that has become synonymous with the Art Deco era.Shocking the older generations of the Victorian and Edwardian era with their shorter hemlines, bobbed and marcelled hair, the exuberant use of makeup,exuberant sexuality, crazy dancing and cigarette smoking.

Gone was the prim and proper Victorian young woman and the elegant beauty of the Edwardian Gibson girl.Imagine the shock of the 1920's parents to find their daughter had turned into a gum chewing, cigarette smoking, alcohol drinking flapper.Imagine the parents horror over hearing said daughters speaking of going to petting parties and mentioning their favorite snuggle pups.Quelle horreur!!

                                                               Ain't Mibehavin
                                                          
                                                         No one to talk with, all by myself
                                               No one to walk with, but I'm happy on the shelf
                                                  Ain't misbehavin', I'm savin' my love for you.


                                                         I know for certain the one you love
                                              I'm through with flirtin', it's just you I'm thinkin' of
                                                  Ain't Misbehavin', I'm savin' my love for you.


                                                        Like Jack Horner in the corner
                                                     don't go nowhere, what do I care
                                               Your kisses are worth waitin' for . . . Believe me.


                                                     I don't stay out late, don't care to go
                                                   I'm home about 8, just me and my radio
                                                 Ain't Misbehavin', I'm savin' my love for you.


                                                    Written in 1929 by Henry "Fats" Waller                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment