Wednesday 7 September 2011

The Inimitable Dorothy Parker!!

Dorothy Parker has to be one of my all time favourite writers of the Art Deco era.Her poetry is savagely humourous, particularly when she wrote about the futility of her mostly fruitless affairs.Which I am sure many women can identify with, event today.She also have a penchant for poems that sorrowfully considered the appeal of suicde.
While some dismissed her work as just "flapper "verse others considered her  one of the most  "sparkling wits" of the day.She was also known for the acidic book reviews, that she wrote for The New Yorker, writing under the pseudonym "Constant Reader".One of her more infamous reviews was that done for AA Milnes book "The House at Pooh Corner", her response to it being "Tonstant Weader fwowed up."

I like to have a martini,
Two at the very most,
After three I'm under the table,
After four I'm under my host.


No comments:

Post a Comment